Start A Club
“It’s such a cool and innovative idea. As the need and demand presents itself, we add more clubs.”Kim Nau, former NCBC Program Coordinator from Literacy Nassau, in Freeport, New York.
Inquire To Start A Club
This is the first step towards becoming a NCBC Affiliate. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find out more and fill out an inquiry form!
Frequently Asked Questions
Phasellus ultrices dolor odio, ac ultricies ante imperdiet ultricies. Quisque sodales magna et lectus fermentum.
What is the first step to start a book club?
Complete and submit the inquiry form found below. Once it is received, we will reach out to schedule a brief telephone call. We believe that personal contact is better than electronic communication for addressing your questions and discussing your plans. Afterwards, you will be sent a copy of our Standards of Practice and Licensing Agreement to review. We require a signed Licensing Agreement before you can participate in the required training.
Who can start a club and what are clubs called?
How soon after training do we need to launch a club? Do we have to start more than one?
What do we need to know about the required training?
What are the main things we need to consider before deciding to become a NCBC Affiliate?
A successful, sustainable Next Chapter Book Club requires these things:
- A public place to meet on a weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly basis (i.e. library, coffee shop, bookstore)
- Club members (a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 8 per club)
- Club meeting Facilitators (two volunteers per club who are willing to commit one hour per week)
- Books (generally four sets per year, per club)
- Training in club meeting facilitation strategies for engaging readers of all levels with intellectual and developmental disabilities
- A Program Coordinator who ensures that each club has a place to meet, members to attend, trained volunteers to facilitate, and books to read. This role requires approximately one hour per week (once the club is up and running) and can be filled by a volunteer or a paid staff person from the Affiliate organization.